miércoles, 10 de septiembre de 2014

I've switched from baking with all-purpose flour to whole grain flours.

I've switched from baking with all-purpose flour to whole grain flours. Now, I get more requests for my cookie recipes than I did when I used all-purpose flour. I've come up with a few reasons why I think my whole grain cookies are more popular.

Health
Texture
Taste
Health

According to the Mayo Clinic, whole grains not only help your digestive system but they also assist in lowering cholesterol and blood sugar. Whole grain flours help me slip in extra nutrition. Because of the added nutrients, my family and friends often mention feeling less guilty about eating my cookies.



Texture

I'm a fan of soft cookies. Whole grain flours seem to keep my cookies softer, longer. Instead of the cookies only feeling soft when they are taken out of the oven, they stay soft for at least a week after.


If you're fond of crispier cookies, just bake them slightly longer. For example, I bake soft cookies for eight minutes and crispy ones for ten. You'll also like the crunch whole grain flours can add. I like the feel of sugar in desserts, and with whole grain flours you get a similar texture with less sugar.


Taste

I find that whole grain flours have unique flavors that enhance the cookie. The flour tastes are faint, so you don't need to worry about them overwhelming your dessert.

Whole Wheat Flour: Buttery
Oat Flour: Creamy
Brown Rice Flour: Nutty
Buckwheat Flour: Slightly nutty, but less so than brown rice flour

Whole wheat flour and oat flour work in everything. They can be used by themselves or added in with other flours. Brown rice flour and buckwheat flour need to be mixed with another flour such as whole wheat or oat. They cannot stand on their own, but still add wonderful flavor. The four flours mentioned are not the only whole grain flours you can find, but they are the ones I use on a regular basis.
After using whole grain flours exclusively for over a year, I don't miss all-purpose flour. The health benefits, texture and taste of whole grain baking have me hooked.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario